Refurbishing your home and making creative changes to the internal layout could make a big difference to how you use and enjoy your home.

I have wide experience of working with clients who are refurbishing their homes and I can combined refurbishment with internal structural alterations without the need for you to move.

In developing a programme of refurbishment works for you I will interpret your wishes, advise you on the options, be sensitive to any historic fabric and combine this with your requirements for the refurbished home.


You home may be ‘a bit tired’ or you could have bought a new property to ‘do it up’? Most properties can be refurbished internally without the need for planning permission but if you home is listed Listed Building Consent will always be required.

You may wish to paint the exterior, change the windows and doors and generally spruce up the exterior. You can usually repair the exterior or replace like-for-like but changing the material and colour of the windows and doors will require planning approval.

Alterations - change the layout

Do you want to create a family living area but have no room to build an extension? You could create more usable space by changing the interior layout of your home. Internal alterations can significantly change the feel of your home by introducing more light or improving the way in which you use and move through your home.

By removing internal structural walls, altering the room uses and changing the location and size of doors and windows I can totally recreate your home, or just tweak it to better match your needs. I focus on designing internal alterations that maximise the best aspect of your home, bring light into dark rooms and make the most of the available space.

If you are working on an existing property, Building Control may require you to carry out work to the existing fabric to make your property more energy-efficient. I will ensure you achieve building regulations standards as an absolute minimum but I can help you to be greener and save money on your energy bills.

I can also submit the planning application on your behalf and do the necessary work to obtain building regulation approval.

Structural alterations, replacing windows, doors and services will require Building Regulations approval. This can be done either by submission of a building regulations application or via the competent person’s scheme.


Contact me for a free initial site visit and consultation on your refurbishment project.

Call 01273 325341 or 0780 525 8066



"We have worked with Martin for over three years. Our collaboration began in 2008 when we asked him to design an extension to our kitchen. The final plans involved extending the kitchen as well as moving the existing garage and utility room. Martin assisted us in choosing a builder and at every turn we found his help invaluable. The work has received plaudits from friends and professionals alike. He has always been most generous with his advice and the persons he recommended have all been excellent.

BL &PL, Withdean, Brighton