Extending, converting or making alterations to your home can involve quite a bit of ‘red tape’. I can make the process as smooth and efficient as possible and will seek to achieve your aspirations within the regulatory planning framework.

With wide experience in the architectural and building industry, and excellent relationships with the local planning authorities, I have significant knowledge of the planning application process and will advise you on and submit planning applications on your behalf.

Planning permission

Planning permission is the formal approval from your Local Authority for the erection of an extension or for alterations to the exterior of a building. The requirement for planning permission will depend upon the location, type and status of you home and the works you wish to carry out.

At the start of your building project, I can advise you whether you are likely to need planning permission for the proposed works. If planning approval is required a pre-application enquiry, which I will submit on your behalf, is an effective way to gauge the view of the planning department to your proposals, before formal submission.

Once we have agreed on firm proposals for your project I will liaise with the planning department to ensure the maximum likelihood of your planning application being approved. I will submit the necessary paperwork and architectural drawings, and will follow your application though to the decision. I have experience of planning applications for listed buildings and conservation areas.

The planning department will assess your planning application using their Planning Policies and Design Guidance. The design of the existing building and its setting should form the principle influences on the design of your extension, conversion or alteration. The Local Authority will support proposals that respect the design, scale and proportions of the existing building and that do not dominate or detract from it. 

Once you have been granted planning permission, I can make the necessary submission to obtain building regulations approval too, enabling you to schedule and start your building work.

Permitted development rights

If you home is a freehold property some alterations or extensions may not need planning permission. Permitted Development rights allow you to carry out certain building works without planning approval. You may be able to build a small single-storey extension at the rear of your property or convert your loft under Permitted Development rights as long as you do not live in a conservation area, a National Park or your home is not listed. Flats do not have permitted development rights and you will require planning permission for building works to your flat.

I will assess if your building project can be done within the Permitted Development rights regime and I can submit an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness on your behalf. A Certificate of Lawfulness is legal confirmation that you do not need planning permission for the proposed works.

Regardless of whether your building work needs planning approval or can be carried out under Permitted Development rights you will need building regulations approval.

Contact me for a free initial site visit and consultation on your project.

Call 01273 325341 or 0780 525 8066